Monday, January 31, 2011

Carlye's Supper

Tonight, my daughter made dinner. Carlye wanted to make Mrs. Martha's chicken again (recipe can be found below). Since it's a fairly easy recipe, and since my family is completely sick of trying new things, I let her. She did a GREAT job! All the way from defrosting the chicken to preparing the pasta. We all sat down to eat as a family. Since my middle child has the flu he sat on the far end of the table. In our family we have a special plate called "The Special Day Plate." Original, isn't it? Every night someone different is given the plate, and you are NEVER allowed to give it to yourself. Before he was even sitting down my youngest noticed that it was in his spot.

"Everyone say something special about me!" he announced as he hopped in his chair. We all went around the table saying special things about Noah. It seemed to be going pretty well, until it was Nathanael's turn. I would like to blame it on the flu, but, sadly, I cannot as he wasn't actually running a fever at the time. "I don't have anything to say, " he said, "you've all said everything."

With a lot of encouragement, and finally the threat of being exiled to his bed for the rest of the evening he FINALLY came up with something to say. "He's nice, kind and loving. There that's it."

Unfortunately for him, in our house that doesn't work. You have to give actual examples, of which he claimed he had none until he realized that he really did want to finish his meal. Thankfully, he came up with some nice things that Noah has done for him since he got sick.

We ended the meal with their wish list for my grocery shopping trip tomorrow morning. With such healthy suggestions as pancakes on a stick, chicken pot pie, cake, cereal and macaroni and cheese I know my family will be thrilled with whatever I come home with tomorrow.

So how was your dinner?

1 comment:

Grandma Bailey said...

Our dinner was great. Since the weather is so awful and I had a ham I have to eat up, we had ham chowder. I used all of the bits of cheese in the refrigerator in it, so it was heavy on the cheese and ham and light on the pototato. I served it with carrots, cauliflower and apple wedges. Your father had his crackers because it isn't a meal without a starch in his mind.