Monday, January 3, 2011

Sweet Potato and Ham Chowder

This is a variation of my little sister's Ham Chowder recipe. Sadly, we devoured it before I thought to take a picture, but I will try to remember to do so tomorrow. I loved this and so did my husband! My youngest son, Noah, declared his disgust upon seeing it, but then devoured the entire contents of his bowl (save a few sweet potatoes that he smashed just for the fun of it). My other two children and my niece really enjoyed it as well. I served it with crescent rolls which were a big hit. I absolutely do not count calories for my children (teaching them to make healthy choices and eat in moderation have better results) - but for those of us who are watching our own I included them here.

Sweet potatoes are healthier and have more nutritional value than white potatoes, and the color is so pretty in the soup. My children can help me prepare this, which makes it a huge bonus. Occasionally we will cut our knuckles while peeling the potatoes, but practice makes perfect! Plus, kids tend to eat food they've helped cook - even if it is orange!

Sweet Potato and Ham Chowder

Ingredients:

6 cups of Chicken broth (fat free, low sodium) (60 calories)
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (350 calories)
2 cups diced ham (560 calories)
1/4 to 1/2 cup whipping cream (200 to 400 calories)

Bring Chicken broth to a boil. Stir in sweet potatoes and let simmer for 20 minutes. Add ham and cream and heat thoroughly. Serve.

Total calories 1,170 for entire pot of soup, at 6 to 8 servings it is about 195 calories a serving.

And don't forget, you can have great family time while cleaning up as well. Many hands make a light load, and even two year olds can carry plates to the counter (ours are melamine), wipe down tables and push in chairs.

1 comment:

Grandma Bailey said...

I add cheese to my chowder. Whatever is in the refrigerator. I had book group and had some leftover cheese slices of Muenster, New York Sharp Cheddar and Gouda. I threw that in my chowder and it was wonderful. I find this especially warming on a cold night - so we eat it quite a bit during our New England Winters.